[MCR] Selkirk Moutains - Rogers Pass - Connaught Ck. Nov.17/2013

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Nov 17 21:37:23 EST 2013

I have held back from posting the last few weeks, as I figured things were
pretty marginal out there - but now that the snow (and the people J) have
arrived, I figured it was time to send out some info.

All observations are limited to Connaught ck drainage (behind the old
hotel).

Snowpack - snowpack depth and strength has increased over the last week -
above 2000m. there is roughly 100cms - below that it is between 60-80cms - I
have no observations above 2400m. The clear weather on Sunday night through
Tuesday morning formed some isolated surface hoar (mostly around 2000m.)and
suncrust on steeper south aspects now down 30-45cms. (I haven't seen any
action on either layer yet). Otherwise the snowpack appears to be settling
and consolidating. The Oct. layer at the bottom of the snowpack has been
intermittent, and what I have seen is a hard melt freeze crust that appears
well bonded to the snow above - below the crust feels a bit rotten. It would
be interesting to see what this looks like on a high elevation (Above
2500m.) north aspect.

Travel - much improved after this last storm - it is no longer "Totally
Marginal" and more like "Manageable" with great skiing in between. If you
find yourself breaking trail, expect an honest effort with 30-45cms ski
penetration. The summer trail is now as good as it gets and much less
frightening after this last dump. The crux is getting down that last 1000ft.
above the trail where the terrain is steeper, the snowpack shallower, and
the alders are in full bloom!

All that said - there are a ton of hazards lurking below the surface - I
have been wearing my helmet and skiing in control (means lots of wiggly
turns) - just sayin'!

Avalanche Concerns - Fresh windslabs above 2200m., along ridgecrest windward
and lee slopes from last nights winds, where my biggest concern - some of
these pillows are 60-100cm deep. and fairly stiff. I haven't seen any
avalanches the last couple of days but visibility has been poor limiting
observations. Cheops North 4 (aka STS Couloir) has been previously active,
with several size 2 avalanches over the last couple of weeks.

People - lots of folks out having fun - worth keeping your head up to make
sure someone isn't skiing on top of you J!

Cheers,

Scott Davis