[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Asulkan drainage Nov.20/2013

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Nov 20 21:00:50 EST 2013

First off, my apologies for failing to sign my last post (Rogers Pass
Avalanche cycle) - but it was late at night J!

Today I went up the Asulkan drainage as far as Asulkan hut - thankfully Adam
and Chris (two local Revy nurses) spent 8 hours putting the trail in
yesterday - way to go BOYS!

Weather - Cold(-15 in the parking lot) and clear until some cloud started to
filter in from the north around 1PM - you could see some wind transport
happening in the higher alpine but no real wind below 2500m.

Avalanches - likewise a large cycle occurred near the end of the storm on
Monday night/Tuesday morning - lots of fracture lines visible on most steep
alpine features. One avalanche from the Sapphire Col side of the valley ran
all the way to the Mousetrap, turned the corner and ran another 100m. Down
the drainage. The Lookout Mountain side had no real activity.

At around noon today the Dome Col released a natural avalanche on the East
facing slope below the col - it was pretty much full width of that slope
(probably a 100-150 metres wide) and looks like it may have gone on the old
summer snow interface (meaning it was deep). It stopped on the bench below
but then the much steeper section below the bench also released even larger
(we couldn't get a good look at it). Obviously things are still adapting to
the new load of the last storm cycle!

Travel Conditions - the storm snow has started to settle a bit but still
real deep ski penetration (40-60cms) - great skiing and the snowpack is a
little deeper than over in Connaught Ck. Don't even think about going on the
glaciers unless you are fully rigged up - tons of holes everywhere - lots of
new issues after this summer had its way with our Glaciers!

Snowpack - limited observations as all we did was check out the Tree
Triangle - HS was @160cms there and the snowpack was pretty much a lot of
recent snow that is slowly settling out - It would be interesting to get a
look at some of those fracture lines in the ALP - most looked like storm
snow depths but others looked like they may be involving the October
interface. Fellow Guide Dave Sproule was over at the Practice Slopes (in the
Illicilliwaet Drainage) and noted some 5mm surface hoar down @60cms .

Cheers,

Scott Davis