[MCR] Maligne Lake area, Jasper

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Nov 24 10:03:19 EST 2013

I went out for a ski yesterday into the Bald Hills at Maligne lake.

The snowpack was about 20cm at the parking lot. At Treeline there is
about 30-40 cm of unconsolidated weak snow. No significant layers
were found in the snowpack, though an isolated old crust near the
ground is variable and quickly decomposing. I did not go into the alpine.

Skis tend to break through to near ground in most places as the
snowpack is unsupportive. Some wind effect was visible on westerly
aspects and many ridge crests were blown clean.

Though some skiers have been skiing the trees adjacent to the summer
trail, the ski quality looked poor. Most tracks went straight down
veering back into the up track to maintain any movement.
The fire road was reasonable and is getting some compaction.
There are hazards just under the surface, as expected.

Very typical mid November snowpack for the eastern slopes of Jasper
Park., but still a great place to stretch the legs.

Peter Amann
Mountain Guide

Peter Amann
Mountain Guiding