[MCR] Mt Patterson E Ridge

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Sep 4 00:33:12 EDT 2013

Fellow apprentice guides Patrick Lindsay, Jesse Petersen and I enjoyed a warm sunny day on Mt Patterson. The temps made the waist deep crossing of the Mistaya River humourous rather than chilling. The colours are already starting to turn on the approach slopes. We scrambled quarzite ledges right of the prominent couloir which had discontinuous snow.

We both ascended and descended the east ridge today. The route is in great condition: dry throughout, save for the upper glacier separating the two tiers of rock climbing. We were able to refill our water bottles here.

We found crampons useful for the glaciers. On our descent we spent some time removing some of the loose rock, most significantly on the upper corner of the first pitch.

Brent Peters
Apprentice Alpine Guide
CAA Level 2
Yamnuska Mountain Adventures