[MCR] Selkirks, Roger's Pass, Apr 2-3

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Apr 4 09:43:42 EDT 2014

we spent the last two days in the Asulkan drainage & Little Sifton regions. things are still relatively winter like above 2200m & good skiing was found on more Northerly aspects.

on Apr 2 we headed up towards Saphire Col via the Mousetrap. AM conditions found a firm trail to above the Mouse Trap (1600m) and then improved to dry snow with no crust above 2000m in the shaded areas. coverage on the glacier was over 3m of snow in areas checked, but numerous sags & open crevasses are visible. we treated the snow bridges with a healthy dose of caution & remained roped up for the majority of travel over ice. we headed up Castor peak & found extensive wind loading & cornices along the ridge. boot packing was deep in facets & new snow, with sections waist deep. looking South along the ridge towards Pollux & Leda, conditions appeared similar and travel would most likely be quite slow. we returned down through the tree triangle & enjoyed great skiing with ski pen about 20cm on average.

skies stayed mostly cloudy with some flurry activity with 5cm of accumulation. temps were mild but stayed below freezing. solar input (sunshine) was a minimum & no moist snow was encountered above 2000m. winds were moderate thru the Col & were transporting the snow into immediate lee features. no shears (hand shear tests) were found in the top 50cm, nor any results occurred from ski cuts. some isolated small soughs have occurred out of steep (40 deg or more) terrain.

Apr 3 we did the Little Sifton traverse. the track up Grizzly shoulder is very firm & slick. ski crampons are strongly advised. on that aspect below treeline a 5-10cm melt freeze crust is present. we were getting clean but hard (to trigger) shears under this layer. above treeline on the sunny aspects, a 2-4 cm crust was present under 5cm of new snow.

skiing down into the Hermit had great turns down to the toe of the glacier, and then careful use of subtle aspect features (looking for areas shaded from the sun & free form overhead hazard) had more good turns down to 2100m. from there to 1800m, unsupportive & breakable crust was predominate and skiing sporty. below 1800m skiing improved with the crust being supportive. about 100m above the hi way elevation the snow became moist & grabby.

weather was similar to Apr 2nd with less wind & no snow transport noted.

all in all some good spring skiing to be had with careful consideration of what has been sun effected, and where the good snow still remains. we strongly recommend throwing the ski crampons in the pack - it will make life easier on the lower elevation skin tracks.

happy turns!

dave healey, sg
adam burrell, asg