[MCR] Roger's Pass and Benedict Creek

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Apr 13 11:15:51 EDT 2014

Observations from Rogers Pass and Benedict Ck. April 4-12

ACMG Ski Guide Exam

Weekly Summary

Weather

The week consisted of mostly overcast to broken sky conditions. With
convective activity we received about 5cm of new snow per day in the alpine
through the week, bringing HST up to 40-45cm over the April 2nd interface.
Winds were generally light to moderate with periods of strong from the
SW-NW. FZLV started off around 1700m lowering towards the end of the week
to 1200m. We experienced alpine lows of -10c and high's of 0c.

Snowpack & Avalanche Concerns

As the week started the layers of concern were April 2nd, Mar 22 & Mar 2nd
in the upper snowpack, and with the Feb 10th & basal facets below. On April
6th a Sc sz 1.5 on a Westerly aspect at 2200m below Perly Rock illustrated
the weakness of the April 2nd layer on solar aspects. As the week continued
we gained confidence in these upper snowpack layers.

Moderate westerly winds through the week re-distributed the recent HST,
creating WSL in isolated lee features and near ridgelines that bonded well
to old surfaces. Rising freezing levels through the day brought moist snow
up 1800m creating a supportive crust in the am with diurnal swings.

Several whumphs were felt through the week in shallow snowpack areas near
moraines in the alpine. The snowpack stability and avalanche hazard
improved through the week starting off with Fair Stability and Considerable
Hazard, trending to VG/Moderate by April 12th.

Hazards & Concerns

Crevasse hazard was greater than usual for this time of the year due to
variable distribution of HS in the alpine, and warm previous summer. For
example the Illecillewaet & Bonney Glaciers have much bigger and more
exposed crevasses than usual. Cornices are well developed and continued to
grow and fail through the week. Otherwise flat light in the alpine with
wind lips/scoops and variable surface conditions created minor hazard to ski
traffic.

General Comments

We generally skied in the alpine through the week up to 2750m trying to
avoid skiing below 1600m. As we built confidence in the snowpack towards
the end of the week we skied ALP & TL terrain to 48 deg. We primarily skied
on northerly aspects through the week. We feel that we have a well settled
Spring snowpack, and that great skiing can be found on northerly aspects TL
& above.

Daniel Morton

Lucas Holtzman