[MCR] Peveril Peak Jasper Portal Creek

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Aug 24 08:18:52 EDT 2014

Climbed Peveril Peak yesterday during a fine day in Jasper.

Checked all the pins on the route.
The climb can be done with a 40 metre rope, end roping 2 people. The
first pitch on the upper buttress is the longest, with the belay
being at two pitons just below top of this buttress.

Descent:
 From the summit follow the cairns immediately heading down the South
side. (20m from summit) The trail is getting well beaten in, and
there do not seem to be any false cairns. I marked the key ones with
flagging tape.
When in doubt just slow down and look around and you will find the
next cairn or the trail.

I added one piton on the descent, where the short exposed traverse
leads to the scree bowl. This could use a bolt further along
especially if this section is wet.
Once in the scree bowl, follow it down sticking to the left side.
Lower down this bowl funnels and cliffs out. Just before it does,
look left and you will see the cairn that crosses the rib and leads
to easier terrain.

Looked like a light dusting of snow on Cavell.

Peter Amann

Peter Amann

www.incentre.net/pamann/
pamann at incentre.net