[MCR] Rocky & Purcell mountains

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Dec 15 23:45:13 EST 2014

Hello all,

I taught an AST2 course for the UofC Outdoor Center Dec12-14th.  My
students have prepared this (slightly edited) report.  As politicians
say....I approve this message.

Nov 12, 2014
Jimmy Simpson Glades, south of Bow Summit

Widespread whomphing while crossing a 2000m meadow. Temp crust up to 2100m.
An extended column test was done on a lee(NE) 30 degree slope in the
glades. 95cm deep snowpack. We had an alarming shooting failure crack
through the whole block with a hard hit down 55cm on the late Nov. facets.
We noticed small (size 1.5-2) avalanches on NE aspects that did not trigger
the late November or Nov 6 (rain crust) weak layers. Ski quality was very
good above 2100 m, with approx 10-15cm of lighter snow over a consolidated
storm slab of approx 40 cm. Below 2100 m snow was heavy and temp crust led
to difficult skiing.

Nov 13, 2014
Rudi's Ridge, Kicking Horse Slackcountry
Freezing level was around 2000m with surface crust below and no crust above
that elevation. Snowpack was around 125 cm above 2000m and quickly shrunk
to 50cm at 1800m. Compression test on a South aspect 25 degree open slope
at 2200m yielded a sudden failure below the Nov 6 crust layer.  The S slope
of rudi's ridge was crossloaded by previous SW winds creating a bit of a
wind crust.  It was a bluebird day so steeper solar aspects may have
developed a sun crust.  East and SE slopes yielded the best ski quality.  A
size two slab avalanche was noticed on a lee (N) alpine slope.  It was more
than 48 hours old.

Nov 14, 2014
Lipilian Subpeak, Lake Louise (1700 to 2450m)

While breaking trail in a 2200 meadow we were creating
some shooting cracks, but no whoomphing. Steep south slopes were quite
bare. A previous size 2.5 avalanche on a crossloaded south aspect petered
out a few hundred meters above the 2200m hanging valley. Approx 60 cm
snowpack. Evidence of old( >4days) size 1.5 avalanches on cross loaded NW
alpine aspects which did not step down to deeper layers. Very thick and
strong wind crust on alpine ridges provided easy and fast travel. No
avalanches present in bowl below Lipilian Subpeak.  Drifted snow on top of
the hard windcrust snow made for nice skiing on the descent.  New surface
hoar was noted an all aspects and elevations traveled.

Cheers,
Neil Warren

--
ACMG Ski Guide