[MCR] Rockies - Waiparous - Hydrophobia

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Dec 19 23:40:02 EST 2014

Today with my team we again climbed another Canadian classic, Hydrophobia, after we extricated one of our vehicles from the creek.

There is almost no snow in the Ghost at this time. We walked on ground from the bog (Waiparous approach) and rarely had more than ankle top snow.

Hydro is in great shape. We climbed it in 3-4 pitches on both the left and right sides. It was mostly dry. The ice was brittle and glassy, from sublimation during recent chinooks. We were able to descend from the top of the steep ice in 2 - 70m rappels off of threads.

Cryo does not look to be in.

Brent Peters
Alpine Guide
PeakStratagem.com