[MCR] Selkirks - Rogers Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Dec 21 18:15:45 EST 2014

Today I went up Ursus Trees and then continued up the ridge to 2300m before it gets steep, before skiing a couple of runs in the trees. The good news is the skiing in the upper trees is now awesome again, with 30-40cm of low density storm snow overlying the recent rain crust, quite a contrast from last week when ski crampons were required in many areas below treeline.

In the lower alpine the winds were moderate from the West with the odd strong gust in exposed areas. This had formed widespread soft wind pillows up to 60cm deep, but we did not observe any cracking, shearing or whumphing. A couple of short moments of sun revealed the faces above had larger windslabs, but we did not observe any new avalanches all day.

Enjoy the skiing.

Alex Geary
ACMG Ski Guide