[MCR] Dream On, Rockies Front Range

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Feb 5 23:46:56 EST 2014

Despite the car thermometer reading -37 C during the drive this morning, we had surrpisingly very warm climbing temperatures on Dream On (in the Ya-Ha-Tinda area of the Front Ranges) due to a combination of its direct south exposure, no clouds and no wind. If we were missing any one of those three criteria, it surely wouldn't have been very user friendly conditions. The route sees sun between 11am and 2pm, which helped soften the ice and keep screaming barfies at bay. Having said that, the ice on the WI4 second pitch was funky due to being previously sun baked and now cryogenically super cooled. It is also important to note that the climb is remote with no cell coverage at the route or the parking or for most of the drive, so keep that in mind if something was to go wrong, especially in these very low temps.

Sean Isaac
ACMG Alpine Guide
sean at seanisaac.com