[MCR] Crowfoot Glacier - Rockies

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Feb 28 00:24:17 EST 2014

Skied with two friends to the Crowfoot Glacier today (AKA Ferris Glacier
across from Bow Hut). Of note is that once across Bow Lake, there is
extensive flood ice (way more than usual). This is not so much a problem at
the end of the day, but it required a bit of a detour along the south edge
in the morning to avoid getting skis and skins wet. The Bow Canyon is well
filled in and easy travelling. Once in the moraines and on the glacier,
there was little wind effect and skiing quality was very good. There are
the usual rock hazards in the moraines. There was no evidence of recent ski
traffic around Bow Hut and from a distance, it looked like ski quality in
that area of the Wapta would be OK. The forecasted deep freeze will likely
keep people at bay for a few days yet.

We kept to lower angle terrain (below 30 degrees) and had numerous whumpfing
in the moraines and on the glacier that we suspect is on the Feb 10
interface. There was natural activity up to size 2 in the Jimmy Simpson
area on sun exposed aspects in thin rocky areas that we suspect is from the
past 24 hours.

Marc Ledwidge

MG

via