[MCR] Black Prince, K-Country, AB Rockies

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jan 14 20:52:56 EST 2014

We went for a couple of laps up at Black Prince today and we enjoyed good powder skiing. There was up to 10cm of fresh snow on last Sunday’s tracks, and trail breaking in the storm snow was up to 40cm on skis. Average snowpack depth 100-120cm but settling quickly. We found 10cm soft surface slab all the way to treeline (we stayed away from the alpine), and getting stiffer as the day heated up. At 8:45 in the parking lot it was -7.5 but at 14:45 it had already risen to +1 along with the forecasted moderate winds from the W-SW. We observed numerous natural avalanches crowns and debris up to size 2 in the alpine on many aspects.

Happy we got up there today, as the window might be now be closed on ski quality for awhile with the Pineapple Express blowing in the Bow Valley.

Ken Bélanger, topcog at gmail.com
ACMG ASG, CAA Pro
TopCog Adventures | guiding & adventure travel