[MCR] Tryst Lake Kananaskis

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jan 16 22:37:46 EST 2014

A fellow guide, a friend and I went for an exploratory ski this morning to Tryst Lake. Our first impression was that travel was very good as ski penetration was about 5 -10cm. There was a lot of wind effect in all areas from parking lot to the ridgetop. The new snow is settling and forming a strong cohesive unit which still sits on top of the weaker layer below. While the Tryst lake chutes looked inviting we steered clear of them due to recent loading and keeping in mind the spooky layer below.

We skied some sheltered trees on the way down which offered good quality turns away from ridgetop. We returned cautiously via the regular gully however we went through there early in the day. We proceeded quickly and spaced out.

We observed numerous fracture lines on various aspects in the alpine from recent avalanches including a fresh large one on the Super Slope.

Olivia SoferACMG ASG/ HG
www.wildtrips.ca