[MCR] South ghost

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jan 20 17:24:40 EST 2014

Ghost access road has significantly improved since last week. The snow drifts leading to the big hill were easily passable with a stock Ford Explorer. No shovelling, winching, or praying required.

We climbed Aquarius and ice conditions were ok. The route is melting out at the midway ledge and the surface ice above and below that has been rotted by the sun. Good screw placements can still be found with some cleaning and digging.

We had planned to climb Fearful Symmetry but decided the climb looked too delicate, fractured, and sun baked for a safe ascent.

We did climb the first pitch of Rainbow Serpent and it was in good shape.

Despite the balmy afternoon temperature, the road conditions on the drive out were similar.

Kris Irwin - Alpine Guide
www.rockies-ice.com

Sent from my phone on the drive out