[MCR] Whitewater Backcountry, Southern Selkirk

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jan 30 02:05:40 EST 2014

Hi all,

Today we skied in the Kutetl valley southeast of the Whitewater ski resort. We skied between 2350m and 1630m
under cloudy skies with temperatures ranging from -10C to -3C. This area was under the influence a small storm system tracking just south of the border. 10 to 15 cm of new snow fell during the day, winds were calm at treeline but moderate in the Alpine from the Southwest.

There was significant wind transport observed in the Alpine creating pockets of wind slabs in lee slopes directly below ridge top. We observed some cracking in those areas. We were able to ski cut a size 1 slab avalanche that propagated rapidly about 50m wide and 20 m long ranging in depth from 15 to 20cm. At treeline and below treeline this new snow was evenly distributed but sluffing far and fast while skiing terrain steeper than 35 degrees.

As most of you know this new snow overlies a very well defined surface hoar layer that formed during the recent high pressure. This surface hoar layer was widespread at all elevation and all aspects. Definitely something to keep in mind while making terrain choices as this layer gets buried deeper over the next while.

Happy touring!

David Lussier
ACMG Mountain Guide
www.summitmountainguides.com