[MCR] Cline/Andromeda

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Jul 8 19:01:16 EDT 2014

Hello Mountain Folk,

Mt Cline:
I spent last Fri-Sun climbing Mt Cline N ridge with 1 guest. The access trail to the N side of the mountain is occasionally hard to find in the forest but seems to see some traffic as this route is becoming more popular. A beautiful glacier valley below Cline and Resolute gave easy access across to the bivi site, a compact and benign glacier over all with only a few visible crevasses. The route was a mix of mixed ice gullies and rock climbing on the ridge proper with nothing harder than 5.3 WI 2. I feel that any later in the season things will be a little more loose as the remaining snow and ice held some of the Rockies classic choss in place. On decent the SW glacier was easily traversed on snow and again very benign. No bears were seen but plenty of digs and scat in the valleys.

MT Andromeda:
My guest and I had planned for the Skyladder route on Monday but opted for the N Bowl line as it was looking like a scorcher, it paid off. The N glacier had a solid freeze and the snow travel was consistent and easy. The route itself was straight forward crossing the double shrunds made easy but recent avalanche debris. Mostly steep snow with one 60m section near the top with bare ice. Snow travel on the S side off the summit was tedious with post hole randomness full leg deep. The decent from the AA col was mostly snow covered, the again double shrunds were wide open with easier crossings far skiers right.

Have Fun!

Jeff Bullock
IFMGA/ACMG Certified Mountain Guide

www.alpineairadventures.com