[MCR] Presidents/Grand Sentinel

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Jul 13 20:20:15 EDT 2014

Hello,

Presidents: Myself and a colleague guided a group of folks up the President and Vice President on Saturday from the Stanley Mitchel Hut. We had a good overnight freeze which carried 90% of the time to the Pres col from there heading up the Pres the snow was warming quickly due to the aspect but was still consistent both up and down. The Vice was climbed easily up snow and remained in the shade for our decent. The shrunds are totally bridged at this time and there was no real crevasse concerns. I did observe a deep slab avalanche release to glacier ice on a steep (40+deg.) slope which was triggered by a cornice, N/NE aspect. Cornices are still large + looming in that area

Grand Sentinel: Climb the regular gear route on the Grand Sentinel today. Still a fair amount of snow to traverse down to the tower which has a good boot pack in place. There is a good source of water currently close to the tower which was crucial for the hot hot day up in the pine.

Take care and have fun,

Jeff Bullock
IFMGA/ACMG Certified Mountain Guide
www.alpineairadventures.com