[MCR] Mt Assiniboine

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Jul 23 21:24:17 EDT 2014

Hello MCR subscribers,

Bern and I climbed the North ridge of Mt. Assiniboine yesterday July 22nd, alongside John Simms and Christophe.

We accessed the RC Hind Hut from the south via Settlers Road.  The last few kms of road are rough in spots and would require a high clearance vehicle for peace of mind. There is enough chicken wire at the trailhead to surround 2 vehicles. The approach trail is in good shape, although muddy in a few spots, and the creek crossings are straightforward. Travel on the Sturdee glacier was excellent and the crevasses were well bridged and easy to cross.

Thunder showers from Monday morning left a trace amount of new snow above 3000m on the mountain. Moderate winds from the west kept things cool during our ascent and there was no running water on the route. We carried crampons to the summit but did not use them.

Overall good conditions and an excellent trip.

Summit Ridge

Mt Sturdee

Kristopher Irwin – ACMG Alpine Guide
www.rockies-ice.com