[MCR] Asulkan Hut area-Rogers Pass-Selkirk Mountains

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jul 31 14:08:57 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Bob Sawyer and I spent the last 4 days teaching an intro to mountaineering course in this area. With the return of the warm temperatures, snow is melting fast and crevasses are continuing to open. That being said, there was still very good coverage right down to the toe of the Asulkan Glacier and snow travel was great.

On July 28 we made an ascent of Youngs peak via the Northwest face. The head-wall is mostly bare ice with the exception of a thin snow strip on the climbers right side. We climbed a 100m section of 45 degree ice there following the regular itinerary.

The area is in prime summer mountaineering shape at the moment and rock routes have dried out from last weeks snow storm.

Enjoy the beautiful summer conditions!

David Lussier
acmg mountain guide
www.summitmountainguides.com