[MCR] Mt. Andromeda Conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jun 9 10:06:23 EDT 2014

Eric Ostopkevich and I had a great day on Mt. Andromeda’s North Face with four Yamnuska Mountain Adventures guests. Travel through the lower Andromeda icefall was straightforward however there is one large crevasse that will become problematic as the bridge deteriorates. The snowpack has settled significantly since last week’s storms and on the whole we encountered boot top penetration with occasionally more industrial sections. Conditions on the face itself were excellent with supportive steps that allowed us to move together most of the way. Radiation and heating effects were limited  and we did not observe any new avalanches in the Andromeda and Athabasca basins. Skyladder received 2 ascents yesterday and the parties reported similar conditions as we found however there is a few hundred feet icy section at 2/3 height. The cornices over the “Practice Gullies” and the Strain are large and looming. The Silverhorn on Mt Athabasca was climbed and the party reported good conditions. the AA col descent off Athabasca has good coverage and footing appeared to be good watching that party descend.

Stay Safe

James Blench IFMGA/UIAGM