[MCR] Egypt Lake/Healy Pass, Rockies, June 30, 2014

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Jun 30 20:31:17 EDT 2014

I led a group into the Egypt Lake area over the long weekend.  The trail up
Healy Creek from the Sunshine parking lot was in fine shape, and we didn’t
encounter snow on the trail until past the Healy Creek campground. The
trail up to Healy Pass was mostly just muddy and wet, and we only really
post-holed through thigh deep snow for about 100 metres at the height of
the pass. We encountered more significant snow patches in shady spots on
the west side of the pass as the trail descends towards Egypt Lake, but the
recent showers and long weekend traffic has made these easy to navigate.

The short trail from the campground towards Egypt Lake was still holding
snow patches about 1 metre deep, as well as the trail towards Scarab Lake
starting at about 2100 metres. The short trail up to Pharaoh Lake was in
quite good condition, having only one significant snow patch near the
Pharaoh Creek trail junction.

As an exit we hiked over to Simpson Pass before dropping down to Healy
creek. While Simpson pass was snow free, the trail between Healy and
Simpson pass was almost completely snowbound, and the trail connecting back
to Healy creek from Simpson pass has not yet had its deadfall cleared from
the trail.
Bring a good pair of gaiters, and keep an eye out for the herd of about
three dozen mountain goats that have been grazing under Bourgeau Falls.
Nathan Dahl
Hiking Guide