[MCR] North Rockies update

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Mar 1 16:16:52 EST 2014

Just thought I would pass on a bit of a summary of some snow
observations from the North Rockies from over the last few weeks.

Much of my time this winter is doing industry work around Pine Pass ,
Azouzetta Lake, and the Table River.

Up there we are calling the layer of concern the Jan 22 "melt freeze
Surface hoar combo layer", as this is the date it was buried.
Around Jan 14-15 there was a wind event along with warm temperatures
that formed a crust on which the SH formed on and then buried.
The SH is not as reactive as it is reported to the south. It is more
like a stiffer crust but with the SH crystals still recognizable.

It is certainly a visual time stamp to see this crust layer in the
pit wall as it is either somewhat discolored, or has small needles
embedded in it.
It is about 40-100cm down now, depending on exposure to wind.
I have found this layer from Purden Mountain, to Powder King, on SW
aspects in Pine Pass, and in the Table River both up high and down low.

Ski touring on Feb 19th at Pine Pass we had a few large whumpfs near
treeline on a SW aspect, but couldn't pin point the culprit to the
deeper PWL. (Persistent Weak Layer)
We found a compression test easy down 20cm in the storm snow, with a
hard result down at the Jan22 layer. It would seem the whumpfing
should be related to the deeper PWL, but we couldn't confirm this
with our tests.
At this wind affected profile site the Jan22 layer was down 40cm at treeline .

We found the same layer a day earlier at treeline in the Table River,
which gave easy results down 85cm, with a sudden collapse.

The average snowpack around Pine Pass is about 160-220cm valley
bottom (900m), in the Table River it is 240cm valley bottom (1100m,)
and over 3 metres in the alpine.

We did some avalanche control work near Pine Pass just after the
strong outflow winds started on Feb 22, and only got newer
instabilities to release. So far nothing is stepping down to the PWL
, and we have been trying!
(the winds are still slamming the landscape with gusts near 90km out
of an easterly direction through March 1. )

All in all, still expecting this layer to be active or at least
remain a primary concern, but not exactly sure when, or what the
trigger will be.
Have been only skiing on well supported terrain, avoiding anything of
consequence and expecting the unexpected, probably like most of you out there.

Though I haven't been out this week, I expect we will have isolated
stiff wind deposited slabs sitting on top of a mix of variable
layers, or scoured out to Sustrugi in some normal lee areas...could
be some interesting loading patterns this week.

Windward? leeward? which is which?

Cheers,

Peter Amann
Mountain Guide