[MCR] Bow summit area avalanches

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Mar 10 19:15:19 EDT 2014

We tried to get up to Little Crowfoot today. When we approached Bow canyon we remote triggered (from 150 m away) a healthy size 2 avalanche above and to the right of the canyon which ran into the trees above the canyon. We turned around but another party who went to look at our avalanche remote triggered another slide on a slope in the canyon which put over 1 m of debris where the trail regularly goes.

Lots of other recent large deep slabs on slopes visible from the highway including a few above regular ski runs like Crowfoot Glades. We ended up practicing rope skills on flat ground.

Mark Klassen
IFMGA Mountain Guide