[MCR] French-Haig-Robertson Traverse / K-Country

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Mar 11 23:13:46 EDT 2014

Myself and three guests completed this trip yesterday and found reasonable
conditions given the avalanche danger rating but we also didn't venture much
into avalanche terrain.

In the French Creek drainage we experienced numerous whumpfs; many were
localized but some propagated throughout the woods around us (all reacting
on the Feb. 11 layer ~40cm down in that location). Travel was decent with
20cm ski penetration in most spots and became easier as we got above
treeline where recent winds have hardened the snow surface. We observed one
old (~24hrs, sz. 2) natural slab on a SE-facing slope off Mount Burstall's
long south ridge.

The French Glacier was mostly covered with just a few patches of ice
showing. Same goes for the Haig Glacier with only a small portion of ice
(that we could see) showing below Mt. Sir Douglas. The steep (40-degree &
130m tall), south-facing slope guarding the Robertson/Sir Douglas col was
our biggest challenge. Fortunately, high clouds kept the sun's strength
diminished for most of the day. Strong SW winds had scoured the slope but as
we stood in a sheltered area below, we experienced a large, rolling whumpf.
That encouraged us to stick to shallow snow and frozen scree on our ascent,
which made for harder travel but kept us out of avalanche terrain.

Despite recent winds the Robertson Glacier was still good skiing up high. We
detoured easily around a few open crevasses in the middle. We observed an
old (~36hrs, sz 3) and very large natural slab that had pulled out from
partway up Whistling Ridge's E face, likely sympathetically releasing
another slab on the opposite side of the valley. Below that we broke trail
down-valley again as well.

High temps were around -5, low around -8 with cloudy skies in the morning
clearing up to lots of blue in the afternoon. Winds were calm rising to
moderate throughout the day out of the NW. Snow depth ranged from ~100cm
below treeline to over 300cm in wind-deposited areas on the Haig but
averaged around 150cm on the glaciers.

Andrew Councell
<http://www.mountainsense.ca/> www.mountainsense.ca