[MCR] Roger's Pass 14/03/26

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Mar 26 23:03:04 EDT 2014

Hello

I guided up Connaught today. 25 cm's of storm snow fell in the past 24 hours. Temps around 0. This storm interface has produced a natural, widespread avalanche cycle to size 3. Running on the previous solar crust to valley bottom. Solar aspects in terrain steeper then 35-40 degrees. Toured and skied the Ursus trees main conservative shot. When on the descent, one of my clients released a small size 1 avalanche which grew to a 2-2.5. This slide continued gaining mass and speed through the mature timber for approximately 400 meters. Coming to a halt just before the lower drainage exit. This avalanche sympathetically released several other heavy narrow slides to 1.5 in the timber also running far. No one was hurt. The hazard was high today. Most paths on the the North side of the valley have run except for the large drainages (grizzly etc). Brief but strong green house effect today had me concerned for the larger paths to go. I was glad to have finished the day.
Jonny Simms ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide1(604)815-9225Golden, BChttp://jonnysimms.com