[MCR] Wapta traverse

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Mar 29 13:58:29 EDT 2014

I spent 23-28 March (6 days) guiding the Wapta from Peyto to West Louise
Lodge. At the beginning of the week travel was quick and easy with good ski
conditions and stability. The storm began on the evening of the 25th and
by the time it finished about 48 hrs later there was 50-70 cm of storm
snow. Fortunately it fell with little wind and cool temperatures so
remained low density fluff.

During the storm visibility was poor so my observations were limited,
however I saw very little natural activity. Only a handful of releases in
the storm snow on steep, unsupported features.

Travel over the Balfour High Col was tedious due to 60+ cm ski penetration
and somewhat tenuous visibility. There are more open crevasses than in
previous years. I elected to use the more complex lower approach to give
the heavily-loaded east face of Balfour as much space as possible. No
signs of recent serac fall, however they could have been buried under all
the new snow.

It truly was the Walkta traverse as I had to walk in the white the entire
way down the Vulture Glacier to the Balfour hut and again from the Balfour
High Col to the Scott Duncan hut. Too much new snow to glide, although my
guests were able to mostly slide in my tracks.

Should be good ski quality up there in the next few days once the new snow
settles a bit and travel improves. However, this may also create some
slabs and wake up lower layers.

--
Ken Bélanger
*ACMG ASG, CAA Pro*