[MCR] Lyell Icefield and Glacier River

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri May 2 22:39:25 EDT 2014

With partner Kendra Stritch I enjoyed a 4 day recreational tour of the Lyells 29 Apr - 2 May.

A good overnight freeze 28 Apr made for great travel up the Glacier River valley. Skiing at valley bottom was mainly supportive.

Snow coverage on the Lyell Icefield was consistently greater then 250cm. Wind effect was prevalent and we observed solar effect on S aspects to 3200m on 1 May. We observed numerous cornice failures on E aspects resulting in avalanches to sz 2. Ski crampons were helpful on scoured W aspects and without, ascents of Mt Lyell and Mt Rudolph would be difficult.

Below 2500m spring conditions prevailed on our egress. There were numerous point releases to sz 2 on S aspects, and mud and rock slides on lateral moraines.

Travel at valley bottom deteriorated significantly this week. Almost no ice/snow bridges remain over the braided river. It was still possible to ski across Glacier Lake.

Recent grizzly bear tracks were observed throughout the valley.

Brent Peters
Alpine Guide
yamnuska.com

Sent from my iPhone