[MCR] Drummond Icefield

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun May 4 22:02:38 EDT 2014

We guided a version of the Drummond/Bonnet Icefields traverse ( April 29- May 3) . The route took us in via Mosquito Creek, over the Drummond Glacier, down to the Red Deer, below the Bonnet by Oyster Peak and out to Lake Louise via Baker Lake. We modified the traverse due to deteriorating weather conditions.

Wx: We had three days of intense sun with daytime highs of 12 degrees and freezing levels up to 3000m. There was minimal overnight recovery on Thursday at our 2400m camp. This made for a challenging descent through some breakable crust once we passed the freezing line. The weather deteriorated on Thursday night/Friday morning with rain followed by snow . Snow continued through to Saturday, with poor visibility both days and approx. 30 cm accumulation over 36hrs at 2200m.

Travel conditions were excellent Tues-Thurs on a supportive crust at TL and BTL with afternoon warming turning snow isothermal. Coverage on the Drummond glacier ranged from bare ice on steeper aspects to 250cm. The ramp (from the Pipestone River side) leading up to the Drummond was in good condition. See picture.

There were numerous loose wet avalanches on steep terrain on all aspects on all days. East aspects were avalanching early in the mornings due to strong solar warming at this time of year.

Of note we spotted some grizzly bear tracks, some small feline tracks (bobcat or lynx), numerous wolverine tracks in various valleys and our tent got attacked by a hungry marten seeking goodies one night as we were slumbering.

Madeleine Martin-Preney AHG
Olivia Sofer ASG, HG
Helen Sovdat MG

Olivia SoferACMG ASG/ HG