[MCR] Spearhead traverse

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed May 7 23:43:02 EDT 2014

I spent the last three days (May 5-7) with a guest on the spearhead traverse in Whistler.

We travelled primarily in the alpine from 2100m to 2700m, finishing the trip at 1000m. We experienced temperatures ranging from -6 to 2 degrees, light nw winds and isolated precipitation amounting to a trace of new snow. The last two days were characterized by clear skies with valley fog that broke up during the morning hours and afternoon cumulus cloud formation and associated isolated precipitation. We found that we had a good overnight freeze allowing for generally predictable melt/freeze conditions.

We noted two new avalanches to size 2, one on the 9th Hole on Decker on Monday that came down near the regular uptrack, north aspect, limited visibility, and one slab avalanche from a distance on Wednesday at 2100m on a steep, rocky south aspect on Tremor. Otherwise, just snowballing and pinwheeling on solar aspects in the afternoons.

Snow conditions were variable depending on aspect. True north aspects in the high alpine held 5-15cm of cold, dry snow, sitting on a well settled snowpack. Steep solar aspects had a supportive crust in the mornings that broke down quickly producing moist snow down to 60cm. All other aspects had supportive crust until around noon, and then provided quality corn skiing conditions all the way down to 1000m.

Of note, the glaciers had over 320cm, but were more broken than I've seen in previous seasons, yet still easily negotiable. Surprisingly, ski crampons were not needed.

Cheers,
Jeff Van Driel
ACMG ASG
whistlerguides.com