[MCR] Totem Creek Ice - Banff

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Nov 3 15:13:59 EST 2014

I spent the day guiding the ice climb "Totem and Taboo" in Totem Creek
(drainage south of Murchison). Thin and wet early season conditions.  I
managed to scratch my way up three pitches and turned around part way up
the fourth pitch where detached thin ice with water pouring over and behind
it got the better of me. First (rotten) pitch was avoided by climbing a dry
rock buttress on climbers right (30 m 4th class).

Apart from poor ice the main hazards were rockfall and falling ice - plenty
of each in this NE facing zone until the sun wheeled around the corner at
around 1 pm.

There is a trail on the N side of the creek. You can pick it up a few
hundred meters from the highway just where the tracks from a giant earth
mover peter out. Sparsely blazed but worth finding.

Tom Wolfe
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.sawback.com
Canmore, Alberta