[MCR] Elbow Lake/Piper Creek, Opal Range, Kananaskis Country

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Sep 23 15:09:05 EDT 2014

Fall has arrived in Kananaskis Country!

Just got out yesterday from a few days into Piper Creek area via Elbow Lake on a personal trip. We hiked up the Elbow Lake trail, then followed it north past the lake for 3.5kms on the Big Elbow Trail. We then hooked up with the narrower but well-used Piper Creek trail that heads northwest at grid reference 419 148. The fall colours are spectacular with dwarf birch patches turning red and orange and larches yellow. All but the highest north-facing slopes are free of snow from the storm earlier this month. Piper Pass is snow-free as viewed from the south. No recent bear sign was seen. Plenty of moose and bighorn sheep sign in Piper Creek valley.

A great option for a hike that doesn't take long to get up into some excellent views and colours. Elbow Lake can also provide some productive fishing for brook trout, and they are in their fall spawning red and orange coloration.

Cheers!
Jen Stelfox
HG