[MCR] Rockies

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Apr 9 20:42:03 EDT 2015

We spent 3 days ski touring in the Rockies from April 6-8th in the Lake Louise and Bow Summit Area. On the first two days we saw convective weather with a clearing trend on the 8th. Temperatures were cold for this time of year.

Avalanche activity was limited to point releases (loose dry and loose wet) out of steep cliffy terrain to size 1.5.

The new snow that fell April 4-5th appeared to be bonding well to the old hard surfaces that it fell on. On South aspects, the midpack consists of a variety of crust interfaces which are bridging the basal facets. Preserved dry powder on North aspects over a strong midpack, sitting on basal facets. Good coverage on glaciers, with the exception of the glacier on Mt. Niblock, where we observed areas with bare ice and variable snow depths.

Our main avalanche concern was exposure to cornices and travelling below cliffy terrain where solar triggered loose avalanches were possible. Our second concern was triggering the basal facets in areas with a thin snowpack (particularly morainal features or where rocks were visible). a few isolated windslabs were found on N-E aspects in the alpine.

Travel conditions were good overall, except for solar aspects in the mornings where ski crampons were needed. Excellent skiing on North aspects.

- ASG Exam Candidates 2015
Helen Sovdat  ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
Jeff Relph  ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
Dan Madell ACMG Ski Guide