[MCR] Rockies Ski Touring: Tent Ridge - Commonwealth Creek

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Apr 11 02:27:43 EDT 2015

Hi Everyone:
Nobody else around today while ski touring at Tent Ridge. A typical April
day in the Rockies' Front Range with some sun, fast moving clouds with
flurries and strong, gusty south-westerly winds at ridge line. We skied the
NE aspect of the regular Tent Ridge Bowl as well as the N aspect below the
saddle leading towards Tryst Lake. There are about 10 - 20cm of
recrystallized snow over a carrying crust that caps a largely recrystallized
snowpack with crusts interspersed. Skiing quality was still quite good  on
northerly aspects in spite of wind effect from downflowing winds. Solar
aspects only softened up in the lower elevations today.

Off note was evidence of a recent avalanche that we observed in the distance
on the northern aspect below the saddle between Commonwealth Peak and the
Shark's Tooth (see attached photo) on the regular ski line. Looks like a
healthy size 2 or 2.5 with impressive propagation - possibly cornice
triggered? Good reminder that in spite of the spring conditions we are
dealing with a pretty complex snowpack and especially large triggers can
still cause big avalanches.

Have a great weekend!

Jorg Wilz
Mountain Guide (ACMG / VDBS / IFMGA)