[MCR] Selkirks

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Apr 15 21:53:44 EDT 2015

Hi all

Up at Selkirk Lodge right now and just a bit of a heads as today was the
first splitter day with temps forecast to rise over the next few.

Since Friday night there has been 50-70cms of new snow at Selkirk Lodge
with lots of wind. Yesterday the storm ended and it was cold and clear and
today we got to venture out a bit further a field. The word on the streets
before we flew in was that a facet layer and surface hoar layer was buried,
and especially well preserved on shady aspects above 2000m. During the
storm while skiing treeline and below elevations we were able to trigger
numerous 1 to 1.5 slabs on this layer and even through today we have been
getting large whoompfs. The clearing showed a fair bit of avalanche
activity from the storm cycle, but with the amount of new snow and wind it
is really hard to tell how much avalanche activity may have occurred. As a
result of our observations we have tended to completely avoid avalanche
terrain. Today a test pit at 2400m N aspect showed well preserved surface
hoar to 10mm down 55cms produced Moderate Sudden Planar compression test
results. Another positive affirmation of our conservative terrain choices.

Stay safe and enjoy the latest return to winter!

Evan Stevens
Mountain Guide
http://www.vmt.ca