[MCR] Wapta Icefields

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Apr 25 02:02:57 EDT 2015

Just returned from a 4 day "Little Wapta Traverse" going in via Peyto Lake
and coming out via Bow Lake today.

We approached Peyto Hut by using the direct route via the canyon, which
currently requires taking off your skis a few times and one short boot pack
section. The main hazard right now is rock fall from the frozen, northern
aspect moraine slopes over head during a shorter section of the climb but
it's serious enough that I would only recommend the route on a cold day with
a reasonably early start. The regular approach via the steep moraine and the
glaciology research station looked boney and also requires carrying your
skis in some sections.

Coverage on the glaciers is generally good although probing along the
existing approach track close to Peyto Hut some of the wind-exposed
locations showed only 50cm!

Vulture Col was a bit skied out and littered with frozen debris balls for
the first bit. We used a rope belay for most of our group for the steep
entrance.

Most remarkable was the change in weather over the last four days from
distinctively spring-like on the first day (Monday April 21) to wintery
during the last 3 days. Today it was snowing all day (see image) with strong
winds from the south-west. On our last run from "Little Crowfoot" towards
Bow Lake we found up to 15cm low density snow on a supportive sun crust,
which made for good skiing. Temperatures were around -6C at 6AM the last two
mornings at the Bow Hut. Both Peyto and Bow Lake are still well frozen and
were easy to cross while temps were cool.

Enjoy the spring skiing while it last......

Cheers,

Jorg Wilz
Mountain Guide (ACMG / VDBS / IFMGA)

OnTop ltd.