[MCR] Cirque Peak, Rockies, April 30,2015

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Apr 30 20:22:18 EDT 2015

Skied a scenic tour from Num-Ti-Jah Lodge over Helen Ridge, up Cirque Peak,
and down the Cirque Glacier today.

Not much of a freeze overnight so the snow below treeline was isothermal
with just a thin crust. We were breaking through the surface crust in
places and the best travel was on old up tracks or down tracks. At treeline
and above there was a good supportive crust with 5-10cm of fresh snow which
made for easy travel and good spring skiing.

Moderate SW winds were creating a few thin wind slabs in the alpine that
were reactive to ski cutting, but in general the snow pack up high was
pretty solid until the crust began to break down on solar aspects by
mid-day. We saw a few recent cornice failures that triggered the basal
facets in the impact zones, some recent wet sluffs up to size 1.5 on solar
aspects that occasionally went down to the basal facets, and a few small
loose dry sluffs from the wind loading today.

Fun spring skiing up high if you don't mind a bit of work to get there.
--
Conrad Janzen
ACMG / IFMGA Mountain Guide