[MCR] Columbia Icefields August 6 p.m.

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Aug 6 19:02:04 EDT 2015

Just back from the Icefields this afternoon after 4 days of guiding with a Yamnuska group working with my colleague Sharon Wood. Intermittent rain and thunder showers were the general pattern however last nights storm left the snow line down to 2700m in the region with unknown totals of snow accumulation; I suspect at least 5 cm or greater. Snow fall amounts tapered off as we headed south and by Lake Louise the snow line was significantly higher. I would describe general conditions on the higher peaks as “fragile” at best. Weak snow bridges where one has to cross large crevasses and a thin layer of well bonded recent storm snow giving the temporary appearance of retarding rockfall. Ice faces and lower glaciers are all ice and in many places the surface is harder and more glass like than what we usually experience this time of year. I have felt the chronic absence of a significant overnight freezes contributes to this fragility and makes me skeptical of the illusion of the cooling effects of cloud cover or a slight overnight freeze.

Cheers!

James Blench – IFMGA/UIAGM (an an old dog longing for alpinism in good conditions).