[MCR] Rockies: Ghost River, This house of sky, ice climb.

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Mon Dec 7 00:14:59 EST 2015

Climb is in excellent shape and there is fresh tat on the descent anchors.
We descended the walk off but found the trail difficult to follow in the
upper section. I would suggest staying farther left than our tracks in the
upper part.

The driving is reasonable, with the exception of the first significant
river crossing going in. There is a narrow canyon of open water between ice
walls on either side which was a deep enough to put water almost over the
hood of a 3 inch lifted 4runner. There are also significant ice shelves on
either side. I would not suggest going this way and there is an alternate
route approximately 100 m to the east. However I would recommend checking
ice thickness on this alternate route. The diesel truck we were with on the
way out fell through over the wheels and was seriously stuck. The route we
ultimately took was solid for both vehicles, and now has tire tracks
showing the way.

For anyone headed in I would suggest bringing an axe for adjusting ice
shelves on the river crossings. I  would also recommend a lifted vehicle
with studded tires or chains.

Josh Briggs MG
---
403.609.9153