[MCR] Transceivers and batteries

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Dec 8 14:58:53 EST 2015

If my experience last weekend helps only one person’s beacon to work correctly, then this post will be worthwhile:

One of my guest’s Mammut Pulse transceiver was giving repeated “Calibrate compass now” warnings, despite being calibrated two times and batteries at 55%.  When in doubt, reboot.  When I removed the batteries, I noticed there was corrosion on the contacts.  I scraped this with my knife, but wasn’t able to remove all of it.  It looks like the beacon was stored over the summer with batteries inside.  We didn’t get the error and warning again after the clean up.

I recommend checking beacons and carefully cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab and/or light sandpaper.  I think it was losing power for a fraction of a second triggering the compass on reboot function.  Who knows what scary consequences there could be in a real avalanche situation.

The model of beacon isn’t important, as corrosion complications could occur with any brand.

Ken BÉLANGER
ACMG Ski Guide, CAA Professional Member
adventures365.ca <http://adventures365.ca/> | info at adventures365.ca <mailto:info at adventures365.ca?subject=>

 <http://adventures365.ca/>