[MCR] Bourgeau Right and Kitty Hawk, Rockies, December 15-16, 2015

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Dec 16 23:22:22 EST 2015

Climbed Bourgeau Right on Dec 15 with one guest. The route is in excellent
shape, takes good protection throughout and should stay for a while.
Avalanche hazard was minimal on the route, however we did bring avalanche
gear. All the rappel stations were uncovered as of yesterday however the
top station will likely get covered again soon. A topo of the descent is
included below if it is helpful. (Photo is from 2013)

Today we climbed Kitty Hawk along with another group. The second pitch is
thin but well bonded and protects with short ice screws, the final pillar
is in excellent shape. We added a bolt to the belay station on climber's
left below the final pillar. The pitons were no longer trust worthy and the
old bolt is well past its expiry date. A second bolt would be very useful
here if someone has the time, it is a good belay spot for the final pillar.
Minimal avalanche hazard on this route right now.
--
Conrad Janzen
ACMG / IFMGA Mountain Guide