[MCR] Portal Creek Drainage Jasper National Park

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Feb 15 19:29:30 EST 2015

In anticipation of the delayed access restriction ending after today, we
travelled into the Portal Creek drainage off of Marmot Peak to inform
tomorrow's avalanche forecast. We saw evidence of several large slab
avalanches to size 3.5 that had run full path, - likely 48 hours ago during
the last warm storm. One crown on a NE slope immediately below the west
ridge of Chak peak was at least 3m high and these large avalanches are
scrubbing down to ground. Our test profile at 2350m on a SE sheltered slope
had sudden collapses that easily propagated in the upper facets below the
January 30th storm layer. At this elevation, the Jan 30th layer is a stiff
5cm thick band down 50cm from the surface - well within the depth of
influence of a backcountry traveller. Weak facets/depth hoar below this
layer extend from 75cm to ground.

Despite the disappointing base of the snowpack, the upper well-settled
layers of the last two weeks of warm storms carried our "delicate" skiing
style well down below treeline on shaded aspects. A sandwich of several
surface crusts on solar aspects makes travel a bit more challenging when
you leave shaded terrain.

Landon Shepherd ASG
Steve Blagbrough MG