[MCR] Freshfield Icefield Feb 15 to 18

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Feb 19 16:23:29 EST 2015

We just returned from a last minute decision to fly into the Freshfield as freezing levels were too high to entice us to start skiing from valley bottoms.  We were looking for alpine terrain with good snow and found it!

We base camped on the east side of the Freshfield glacier below Gilgit/ Helmer mountains at 2600m.

Day 1: We explored and gathered snowpack information around Gilgit Helmer and to the col and the top of the Mummery Glacier.

Day 2: Skied to Low- Mt-Barlow col and onto the Cairnes glacier with a loop back to camp via the Whiteaves- Low col.

Day 3: Ascended the west Freshfield icefield to Nanga Parbat and returned to camp.

Day 4: Skied onto Mummery glacier via the Gilgit- Helmer col to our heli pick up on moraines at 2180m.

Weather
It sure felt wintery up there.  Sunday/ Monday low -22 high -10 sunny and calm with light ridge top winds from NW.  Tuesday low -19 high -9 sunny and calm with moderate ridge top winds from NW.  Wednesday low -10 high -5 high overcast with light ridgetop winds from W. Nil precipitation throughout the period.

Avalanches
Upon arrival there was evidence of a previous cycle during the warming event of the early week-end on North and East aspects of slab avalanches out of steep terrain from cornice failures up to size 2.5.  Some of these were down to bare ice or ground.  While we were there we observed one new size 2.5 solar triggered on a South aspect out of steep rocky alpine terrain.  On our flight out we also observed evidence of a natural cycle on South and SW aspects at TL and BTL probably from the last 48 hours as we did not see those on the way in.

Snowpack
We experienced a well settled snowpack with a facetted surface and a well settled midpack.  Overall there is 3 m plus depth of snow on the glaciers.  We found the storm interface at 30cm down and experienced moderate to hard shears on this interface.  There is good bridging strength over crevasses.  Wind effect after yesterday is present on west and south aspects with windslabs up to 20cm deep in open areas mostly near ridge tops. Surface hoar building as of yesterday in sheltered areas.

Travel
Ski penetration was up to 20cm deep.  Ski quality was excellent below 3000m on all aspects and down to our low point at 2180m.  We brought but did not need ski crampons or boot crampons for this trip as winter conditions were present.  Of note the ramp through the Freshfield west glacier described in the newest Summits and Icefields book is still present with but with a few icefall challenges.

Olivia Sofer ACMG Apprentice Ski Guide/ Hiking Guide
Chad Rigby ACMG Apprentice Ski Guide/ Apprentice Alpine Guide
Nicholas Bussieres ACMG Apprentice Ski Guide/ Apprentice Rock Guide