[MCR] Twisted Ice Climb, Yoho National Park, Jan. 1st ,2014

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jan 1 18:42:34 EST 2015

I climbed Twisted today with Brian Webster and Steve Holeczi. Here is what
we found:

Route Conditions:
The route was dry and in good shape and old hooks made it feel not too
brittle despite the cool temperatures (-14 at the car in the AM).  The
left hand pillar has a crack across it and sounded hollow. We chose a
right hand line to avoid it given the temperatures; however, we still were
forced to climb a couple body lengths of hollow sounding ice.

Avalanche Conditions:
Despite the avalanche danger rating of "low" below treeline in the Banff,
Yoho & Kootenay avalanche forecast, we brought avalanche gear and chose
our approach route carefully. Because of the strong valley winds from the
recent "Yoho blow", we encountered many areas of hardslab over a facetted
base. We were able to chose a route that avoided being exposed to most of
the hazard and crossed short hardslab sections one at a time where we
couldn't avoid them. Although any avalanche would likely be small, the
terrain is steep enough that you wouldn't want to go for a ride.

These below treeline conditions are likely not widespread throughout the
Banff, Yoho & Kootenay forecast region, but I would be cautious on the
approaches to any of the climbs in the Mt. Stephen/ Mt. Field area right
now.

Happy New Year!

Ian Jackson
Visitor Safety Technician | Technicien Sécurité de Visiteurs
Banff, Yoho, Kootenay National Parks | Parcs Natiounaux Banff, Yoho,
Kootenay
Parks Canada | Parcs Canada
www.parksmountainsafety.ca | www.parcsecuritemontagne.ca