[MCR] Takakkaw Falls and Mt. Field

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jan 15 00:02:44 EST 2015

I had a good look at Takakkaw Falls on Monday. Pictures are attached, and I
thought the climb looked in good shape.  Also skied past the picnic shelter
at the Takakkaw Falls campground on Dec 31, and it looked in good shape too
- clean, enclosed and with a small stock of firewood.

The snowpack below treeline heading up to Mt. Field is still thin, and the
lower half of the Mt. Field ski tour is very brushy with alder and small
trees. Coverage is good above 1700 meters.

Did a profile just below the last steep roll that leads to the summit of
Mt. Field.  In a snowpack of 145 cm total, we found well preserved surface
hoar down 45 cm, which produced moderate, sudden planar shears. This is the
Dec 18 layer, and I wouldn't want to be on a big slope around here until
this layer gets a better bond.

Grant Statham