[MCR] Trophy Mountain Chalet, Wells Gray Park January 10-13

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jan 15 17:36:10 EST 2015

I was ski guiding at Trophy Mountain Chalet near Clearwater, BC with ski
guide Terry Palechuk, January 10-13, on a Thompson Rivers University
Adventure Tourism ski course.

We did not observe any new avalanches, but there had been a natural
avalanche cycle at treeline and below treeline on the well preserved
mid-December surface hoar size 5-15mm  (down about 100 cm) during the big
storm.  It was reacting to tests in the hard range, with sudden planar and
sudden collapse results.

We skied conservative terrain between 2200m and 1500m elevation.  Excellent
ski quality with the storm snow settling rapidly.  Surprising that we did
not experience a single whumph over the 4 days, despite travelling with a
group size of 10 and the buried surface hoar being so well preserved.

We had generally clear skies with extensive valley fog, and treeline
temperatures ranging from +2 to -8 C.

The latest surface hoar layer was still forming and growing (size 5 to 12+
mm) when we skied out on January 13th, and was noted on all aspects and
right to ridgetop, something to watch for when the next storm rolls in.
There was some light sun crust on steep solar aspects.

Some photos of our trip can be viewed in an album on the facebook link
below.

Regards,

Jordy Shepherd

ACMG / IFMGA Mountain Guide