[MCR] Lower Victoria Glacier

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jun 4 20:57:00 EDT 2015

Went for a glacial tour yesterday June 3rd in the Lake Louise area. A few patches of snow still linger on the Plain of Six hikers trail. We split off and descended to the toe of the lower Vic glacier. Travel on the glacier to within sight of the Death Trap was surprisingly good, except near areas of exposed rock and where the snow pack was thin. Snow depth at our high point of 2250m was just over 1m. Crevasse bridges were weak and one from our team fell in a slot up to his ears. An important reminder to rope up on even the most benign looking glacier.

We witnessed numerous avalanches coming off the east slopes of Victoria and debris was running across the entire width of the upper Death Trap (photo attached).

We gained the end of the Swiss Guides Trail through a weakness in the lateral morraine and followed the Plain of Six trail back to the Lake. The Tea House was open for business and the staff said this was the earliest  opening ever.

Light rain and low cloud for most of the day.