[MCR] Columbia Icefields - Mt Athabasca

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Jun 4 23:51:25 EDT 2015

I guided an ascent of the Silverhorn on 1 June.

One of the only clear nights in the past week, we enjoyed an amazing
refreeze. There's limited snow on the approach trail, with about only 100m
in the bowl before the final morainal ridge. Given the refreeze, we found
fairly supportive travel on the glacier, a breakable crust with foot
penetration between 5-20cm. There was 5-10cm of new snow above 2800m.

On the Silverhorn, the bergschrund was mostly filled in with an easy step
over. Above, we experienced supportive snow for about 1 rope length. Beyond
there was 10-20cm new over 0-30cm old snow over ice. Crampons were
beneficial and we dug easily for good ice screw belays.

We descended to the AA glacier with great conditions, thanks to the
refreeze. Below the glacier, the trail was mainly free of snow, except for
a few remaining pockets.

For some shots of the practice gullies and the AA col proper, check the
link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gcy9b4a4nloielj/AAAmKTBQfsgxcLMm6NoVO70Aa?dl=0&s=so

There are still moderate cornices over the practice gullies.

Brent Peters
Alpine Guide
PeakStratagem.com