[MCR] Commonwealth Creek Ski Touring - Peter Lougheed Park

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Mar 3 00:21:34 EST 2015

We ski toured today on the northern aspects of Commonwealth Peak and found
pretty decent skiing with up to 20cm of new snow in the higher elevation -
lee locations. The snowpack carried to the bottom of the valley. We noticed
quite a few large cornices lingering at ridgeline that deserve attention /
avoidance, especially in times of great temperature swings which we can
expect in the next few days.

Only signs of instability observed today where some super-thin wind slabs
close to ridge line. Winds were relatively light from various directions -
mainly north-westerly but also north-easterly in the later pm as colder
arctic artic air moved in.

As we left the valley around 5PM it was -12C and there were about 10cm of
new snow at valley bottom over the previous temperature crust. Driving back
to Canmore the skies cleared so I don't think there is a lot more snow to be
expected from this "little" cold front.

Cheers,

Jorg Wilz

Mountain Guide (ACMG / VDBS / IFMGA)