[MCR] Ski Kananaskis: French - Haig - Robertson Traverse

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Mar 7 02:08:47 EST 2015

Two days ago, we did the French - Haig - Robertson traverse from the
Burstall trail head in Peter Loughheed Park and I don't think conditions
have changed a whole lot since.

All glaciers appeared to have decent coverage and we couldn't make out any
dips or open crevasses in the ski line. Mind you, when descending Robertson
Glacier, the light was pretty flat in the pm. Winds were strong at the time
from various directions and they have continued to be strong over the last
two days from what I heard from fellow guides operating in the same larger
area. In our travels, we found that the surface was stripped to a crust or
covered by thin, hard wind slabs, which weren't large enough to pose any
hazard (at the time!).

The crux slope when ascending from Haig Glacier to the Robertson Col (see
background in the attached image) showed better snow coverage than I've seen
there in the past. We used an ascending track that traversed the entire
slope at a reasonable angle and which was still well visible indicating
minimal recent wind loading. Ski crampons were helpful for this part,
especially where the track traversed a scoured rocky ridge for a few meters
posing a real sliding hazard. Should this slope show signs of recent wind
Creek.

Great trip but don't expect making too many soft turns on the wind-swept
Robertson Glacier on the way down. No surprises either on Surprise Pass at
Lake Louise, which we had skied the day before and which skied a bit like a
worn out ski hill minus the moguls.

Have a great weekend!

Jorg Wilz
Mountain Guide (ACMG / VDBS / IFMGA)